StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: character reference/testimonial for articles application
character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 0
can someone kindly help me by telling me how I can request a character reference from unisa
is there a number I can call or perhaps an email address?
shammasha
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 250
I went onto the UNISA site and found an e-mail address for the Dean. I e-mailed him and about 3 months later I got a character reference from him that stated he did not know me personally and therefore could only comment on my academic performance and that no disciplinary procedures were ever taken against me.

I didn't think that that would suffice as a character reference and left it out of my application.

Did you perhaps take part in any on campus activities, e.g. street law or moot court?

I got a character reference from someone that I used to be colleagues with and since then became an admitted attorney. I also got one from a former employer and also got one from Ms Mahomed who was in charge of street law at the time I did it.

You only need two references, but I had heard that a candidate attorney's application once had been delayed due to one of his character references not being up to scratch. So, I included three just in case.

You can also ask your minister/rabbi/pastor/priest, etc. if you're a religious type person. Also, someone who could testify to your character, e.g. you used to babysit their kids/house/dogs and you were responsible and did a good job, etc.
Chumbucket
Master's Candidate Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2017/01/11 15:55 By Chumbucket.
LLB Graduate - 2015

"Sometimes life can be as bitter as dragon tears. But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste."

"Something so powerful can happen, someone so special come along, some precious understanding descend on you so unexpectedly that it just pivots you in a new direction, changes you forever."

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 3
Hi,

I found the correct person yesterday. E-mail: phetlvl@unisa.ac.za

The turnaround time is 5 working days but do regular follow ups.

Good luck
Bellzz
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 0
yes I did participate in street law so yes I will contact shaida and ask for 1, thank you

how is the screening?

I filled the forms, but m yet to contact the person who is allocated to interview me nor submitt the forms...but iv already started serving.
shammasha
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 0
thank you so much! !
shammasha
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 3
Same here.

Just waiting for this letter to serve all my documents on Law Society and then do the interview.
Bellzz
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 224
Hi

For my tuppence worth.

The letter of reference from the Dean (albeit that they state they do not know you personally) is what the Law Society want for you to include in your motion to court to become an advocate. I therefore can't see why it would not be good enough for articles application. (Remember that both are looking for the "fit and proper person").

For articles I would also include a reference/testimonial from a professional person of some description - school principal - university mentor - attorney - and so on.

Cheers

Amanda
Amanda1
graphgraph
graphgraph
Stupid people learn what they must - clever people learn what they can

Re:character reference/testimonial for articles application 5 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 250
shammasha wrote:
yes I did participate in street law so yes I will contact shaida and ask for 1, thank you

how is the screening?

I filled the forms, but m yet to contact the person who is allocated to interview me nor submitt the forms...but iv already started serving.

It states on the forms that your principal is the one who should contact the attorney who will screen you and make an appointment.

My principal did that and I went for the screening about a week later when the attorney had a gap to see me. She was great. She is required to get a brief history from you, e.g. where you studied, when, how long did it take, previous employment, etc. She imparted some wisdom about the profession, wished me all the best (said the profession needs more female lawyers), said her door was always open if I want to pop in for a cup of tea and a chat and that I could always phone any lawyer in our area if I needed help and they would certainly help me because they're all a friendly bunch. I was a bit skeptical of that information at the time, but I've since come to believe that's it's true, at least in my area. The magistrate's I've met, fellow attorneys and the odd advocate that I run into, have all been friendly and ready to impart their wisdom.

I think the idea is that we're all colleagues, we're going to be dealing with each other for many years to come, so we might as well get along.

What's supposed to happen with the form that she fills in is that she gives me a sealed copy to hand in with my articles application and she sends the original to the Law Society. But, she said that the original often got lost between here and there, so now she gives me the sealed original which I can hand in with my articles application and she'll send them the copy.
Chumbucket
graphgraph
graphgraph
LLB Graduate - 2015

"Sometimes life can be as bitter as dragon tears. But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste."

"Something so powerful can happen, someone so special come along, some precious understanding descend on you so unexpectedly that it just pivots you in a new direction, changes you forever."

shammasha wrote:

how is the screening?

And also remember the strict deadline, one month only I think (it was two months for me, but has since changed), between starting your articles and the forms having to be at the Law Society.
Chumbucket
graphgraph
graphgraph
LLB Graduate - 2015

thanx for the info chumbucket

iv been going through the attorneys Act and rules for the attorneys proffession thats why im reluctant to contact him, im trying to avoid being unprepared for the interview.

but if its just personal Qs ill Definitely make sure my principal calls asap.
shammasha
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?