StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Special exam due to work commitments?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Special exam due to work commitments?
Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 46
Hi everyone

I hope that you are well.

My husband and I went for interviews yesterday and it went really well. We are still awaiting feedback, but we trust that it will be positive.

If we get the jobs, we will have to start working in May 2017. My problem is - my first exam for this semester falls on the day that we are supposed to start at the new job (if everything goes well). I will be able to write my other exams, but I can't miss my first day.

My question therefore:

Will I be able to apply for a special exam with work commitments as an excuse for missing the exam? What proof do I send along?

I will really appreciate your help on this
AneCoetzee
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Bachelor of Accounting Science in Management Accounting (98304) Graduate

BSc Environmental Management - Zoology (98052)

Semester 2 2017
GGH1502 ZOL1501 ZOL1502

Modules Passed:
CHE1501
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: -65
AneCoetzee wrote:
Hi everyone

My husband and I went for interviews yesterday and it went really well. We are still awaiting feedback, but we trust that it will be positive.

If we get the jobs, we will have to start working in May 2017. My problem is - my first exam for this semester falls on the day that we are supposed to start at the new job (if everything goes well). I will be able to write my other exams, but I can't miss my first day.

My question therefore:

Will I be able to apply for a special exam with work commitments as an excuse for missing the exam? What proof do I send along?

The short answer is no, there isnt.
hlats
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Was my post helpful? Please hit that red lower karma button.

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 46
"Special examinations

personal circumstances such as work commitments, serious illness or death of a relative during the examination period."

Found this on myUnisa.
AneCoetzee
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Semester 2 2017
GGH1502 ZOL1501 ZOL1502

Modules Passed:
CHE1501

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 5
Not sure about work commitments but the easiest is getting a doctors letter if you are not well,that's the only easiest option as work commitments would probably be,in my opinion, while you are working and your job responsibilites are demanding,not allowing you to write.Starting a job would,in my opinion,not really qualify as a work commitment,you can find out from Unisa about this,speaking to the consultants or exam department if possible.
AAH286
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 46
AAH286 wrote:
Not sure about work commitments but the easiest is getting a doctors letter if you are not well,that's the only easiest option as work commitments would probably be,in my opinion, while you are working and your job responsibilites are demanding,not allowing you to write.Starting a job would,in my opinion,not really qualify as a work commitment,you can find out from Unisa about this,speaking to the consultants or exam department if possible.

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately it is too late to do a semester exchange - the only other option is to cancel this module. Will try and contact Unisa and see if anyone there can help
AneCoetzee
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Semester 2 2017
GGH1502 ZOL1501 ZOL1502

Modules Passed:
CHE1501

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 5
Okay,yes,or speak to your employer about your situation regarding your exam if it will help providing proof of exams,maybe it can save you from cancelling the module as cancelling the module will not be fully refunded,but you get something which is better than nothing.

I am doing postgraduate diploma in Management Accounting(98205)(CTMA) this year,doing two year modules for now and graduating next Friday 10 March 2017 at 18:00 at ZK Matthews Hall Unisa Pretoria as I completed my BCom Management Accounting(02011-MAC) degree.
AAH286
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 4
Hi Ane

A few years back I was in a similar situation. I was supposed to start my new job on 1 June, but had to write 2 subjects on 1st and 2nd June.

I spoke to my new employer and he understood fully because he knew that I was studying when I applied for the job. So they gave me 2 days study leave for 1st and 2nd of June and I started my new job on the 3rd.

I think the best thing will be is to consult with your new employer.
JoBon
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 16
I once got to do a special exam due to work commitments.

It was for a portfolio exam, though, and not for an actual written exam but I am sure the basis will be the same?

I found out about a month before my exams that I had won a fairly big award in my industry and had to travel to London for this. I would have gotten back the day before my portfolio was due. We only got the exam assignment 7 days before the due date if I recall correctly so I could not finish it before leaving for London.

The Prof agreed to give me an extension of three days (I think) so I could do the portfolio once I got back.

I guess it depends on the lecturer, but this was for a fourth level LLB elective, so it was a fairly senior module and they still agreed to the extension. I just had to supply paperwork confirming that I was travelling to London and what the dates were.

Good luck! Hope you manage to work something out.
mieke.vlok
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Unisa LLB.
Semester 2, 2017:
HMLLB80 (LLB RESEARCH METHODOLOGY)
LML4810 (LEGAL ASPECTS OF ELECTRONIC COMMERCE)
MRL2601 (ENTREPRENEURIAL LAW)
PVL2601 (FAMILY LAW)

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 13
AneCoetzee wrote:
Hi everyone

My question therefore:

There is always something you can do. We are part time students and unfortunate life happens and other commitments requires you to prioritize. So basically what I did last year when I started my own side project in October(a new company), I sent a letter on to the exam department detailing why I require a supp for the Oct/ Nov exam and A week after I realised that on Myunisa, they changed it to the next year.

I also saw some people say that you can contact the lecture, that is also a route you can pursue. You have enough time to sort out the special exam. Either you can contact the new employer for a few days off. Or let them write you a letter detailing the situation.

Hope this helps
Ibanez01
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 46
Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

Maybe it will be best to wait and see if I even get the job

If I do I will be sure to speak to my new employer about it - I mentioned in the interview that I am still studying, so I think they will consider the situation and meet me halfway.
AneCoetzee
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Semester 2 2017
GGH1502 ZOL1501 ZOL1502

Modules Passed:
CHE1501

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 13
AneCoetzee wrote:

If I do I will be sure to speak to my new employer about it - I mentioned in the interview that I am still studying, so I think they will consider the situation and meet me halfway.

Lekke

Tell is more about the job. On other posts you mentioned you worked for a SAIPA firm. Not pursuing it anymore?

Are you going to do CTMA next?
Ibanez01
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 1 Month, 1 Week ago Karma: 46
Ibanez01 wrote:
AneCoetzee wrote:

Lekke

Tell is more about the job. On other posts you mentioned you worked for a SAIPA firm. Not pursuing it anymore?

Are you going to do CTMA next?

Hi Ibanez,

I have been working at the new job since May. I am currently working in the administration department at a prestige private game reserve in the Lowveld. I am hoping to move to the scientific research department within the next couple of years, as I am currently studying BSc Environmental Management. I am no longer pursuing the SAIPA/ accounting route - I worked as an accountant for 3.5 years, and it is just not for me.
AneCoetzee
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Semester 2 2017
GGH1502 ZOL1501 ZOL1502

Modules Passed:
CHE1501

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hey

Sorry to slide into this message but instead of creating a new thread with essentially the same subject thought id just ask my question here

I submitted the required documentation to apply for a special exam due to work commitments over 10 days ago. Havn't heard anything or seen any changes on myunisa.

Anyone know how long this process generally takes?
blue52
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Special exam due to work commitments? 1 Month ago Karma: 14
Sometimes it is fast and sometimes you don't get any response at all. I have had a case where I submitted it and only knew it was approved when the exam results were released. don't count on receiving a response from Unisa, just keep checking your timetable for next semester to see if the module has been transferred
Samantha9
Master's Candidate Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Go to topPage: 1

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?