StudyNotesWiki

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12345678...12
TOPIC: Re:Registration 2017
*
#258726
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1
O.o

Yes i did notice this myself.

Normally all the years there is a "early to mid December" registration for current students, then closed over Christmas and New Years.
Then the main registration opened usually in the second week of January.

I also find this rather Odd. I guess it has to do with the results for S2 2016 only being released on 15 December (and be honest A LOT of faculties don't even care about the official date - modules such as FAC1501/1601 etc are notorious).

Add to this, some disruption (or the excuse thereof #FeesMustFall and their protests at Pretoria campuses) earlier this year.

And i think thats why we can register from these new dates (03 Jan 2017).

Although personally liked to register myself in Dec then buy the necessary textbooks in Jan (was a bit of a financial breather - esp if you taking 4/5 subjects).
So basically 50% registration fee (approx R3500) then your textbooks (which i saw for me last semester was about R750 per book), it adds up rather fast.
Thyphoidjack
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 74
graphgraph
Points: 282
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258727
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 0
Oh I see,

I agree with you.Going to buy some of the books so long.

I see 2 of my subjects with I would like to take, the handbooks will only be released in 2017.
LeandreVorster
Fresh Out of Matric
Posts: 10
graphgraph
Points: 133
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258728
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1
BTW, what happened to your original thread?

All of a sudden i saw i was the thread creator (and TWICE).

Did you delete it while i was typing a answer?
Thyphoidjack
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 74
graphgraph
Points: 282
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258729
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 118
Agreed

Even though I only start my studies for the 1st semester in January, I like to register in December.

I have bought all my textbooks already For some modules (FIN3701 & MNG3702) I already have the textbooks from when I registered for FIN2601 and MNG3701
darylm
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 989
graphgraph
Points: 3191
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2016/12/03 10:42 By darylm.
BCOM (98314) - Double majors in Business Management and Industrial Psychology


Registration 2017 (Final year):
First semester: FIN3701, IOP2606, IOP3701
Second semester: IOP3705, MNG3702

Modules passed (25 * / 25 ):
First year: CLA1501, ECS1501, ECS1601, FAC1502, FAC1601, IOP1501, IOP1601, MNB1501, MNB1601, MNM1505, SUS1501
Second year: FIN2601, IOP2601, IOP2602, IOP2607, MNE2601, MNG2601, MNM2602, MNO2601
Third year: IOP3702, IOP3703, IOP3706, MNE3702, MNG3701, MNO3701
* Distinctions
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258731
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1092
Thyphoidjack wrote:
O.o

Yes i did notice this myself.

Normally all the years there is a "early to mid December" registration for current students, then closed over Christmas and New Years.
Then the main registration opened usually in the second week of January.

I also find this rather Odd. I guess it has to do with the results for S2 2016 only being released on 15 December (and be honest A LOT of faculties don't even care about the official date - modules such as FAC1501/1601 etc are notorious).

Add to this, some disruption (or the excuse thereof #FeesMustFall and their protests at Pretoria campuses) earlier this year.

And i think thats why we can register from these new dates (03 Jan 2017).

Although personally liked to register myself in Dec then buy the necessary textbooks in Jan (was a bit of a financial breather - esp if you taking 4/5 subjects).
So basically 50% registration fee (approx R3500) then your textbooks (which i saw for me last semester was about R750 per book), it adds up rather fast.



I think it has much more to do with the new Application process - a big administrative load that did not exist before.
Basically the same staff handle Applications and Registrations.

Last year they were overwhelmed and could not cope - so I think they have delayed Registration so that it does not overlap with Applications in order not to overload the staff.
bigron
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 3456
graph
Points: 9352
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258734
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: -22
What date does registration open for next year ?
rosalindv
Third Year Boarder
Posts: 164
graphgraph
Points: 740
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Regards
Rosalind
(Bcom Law)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258735
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1
rosalindv wrote:
What date does registration open for next year ?

3 Jan
Thyphoidjack
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 74
graphgraph
Points: 282
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258754
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 11
bigron wrote:
Thyphoidjack wrote:
O.o

Yes i did notice this myself.

Normally all the years there is a "early to mid December" registration for current students, then closed over Christmas and New Years.
Then the main registration opened usually in the second week of January.

I also find this rather Odd. I guess it has to do with the results for S2 2016 only being released on 15 December (and be honest A LOT of faculties don't even care about the official date - modules such as FAC1501/1601 etc are notorious).

Add to this, some disruption (or the excuse thereof #FeesMustFall and their protests at Pretoria campuses) earlier this year.

And i think thats why we can register from these new dates (03 Jan 2017).

Although personally liked to register myself in Dec then buy the necessary textbooks in Jan (was a bit of a financial breather - esp if you taking 4/5 subjects).
So basically 50% registration fee (approx R3500) then your textbooks (which i saw for me last semester was about R750 per book), it adds up rather fast.



I think it has much more to do with the new Application process - a big administrative load that did not exist before.
Basically the same staff handle Applications and Registrations.

Last year they were overwhelmed and could not cope - so I think they have delayed Registration so that it does not overlap with Applications in order not to overload the staff.


You may well be right about the fact that they now have to process applications as well as registrations - that alone would certainly increase the administrative overhead.

Remember the new "Student Admin Portal" that was launched last year with some fanfare? Evidently they didn't think that one through properly, and it turned into a bit of a disaster. A lady at the Parow office told me that the system became flooded with multiple applications from the same students, which they then had to sift through manually. They have obviously abandoned that platform for now, and reverted to the rather primitive web form that most of us would have used this year.

It's really sad to see the UNISA administration getting worse and worse every year - especially when you consider that student enrolments have actually dropped consistently since 2013!

Anyway, it's been nearly three months since I applied for an Honours and I still haven't had a response yet, other than the acknowledgment e-mail a month ago. Grumble.
Jude the Obscure
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 71
graphgraph
Points: 561
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
AST4880 AST4883 AST4884 APM4812
BSc (Physics)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258755
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 20
[img/] Jude the Obscure wrote:
bigron wrote:
Thyphoidjack wrote:
O.o

Yes i did notice this myself.

Normally all the years there is a "early to mid December" registration for current students, then closed over Christmas and New Years.
Then the main registration opened usually in the second week of January.

I also find this rather Odd. I guess it has to do with the results for S2 2016 only being released on 15 December (and be honest A LOT of faculties don't even care about the official date - modules such as FAC1501/1601 etc are notorious).

Add to this, some disruption (or the excuse thereof #FeesMustFall and their protests at Pretoria campuses) earlier this year.

And i think thats why we can register from these new dates (03 Jan 2017).

Although personally liked to register myself in Dec then buy the necessary textbooks in Jan (was a bit of a financial breather - esp if you taking 4/5 subjects).
So basically 50% registration fee (approx R3500) then your textbooks (which i saw for me last semester was about R750 per book), it adds up rather fast.



I think it has much more to do with the new Application process - a big administrative load that did not exist before.
Basically the same staff handle Applications and Registrations.

Last year they were overwhelmed and could not cope - so I think they have delayed Registration so that it does not overlap with Applications in order not to overload the staff.


You may well be right about the fact that they now have to process applications as well as registrations - that alone would certainly increase the administrative overhead.

Remember the new "Student Admin Portal" that was launched last year with some fanfare? Evidently they didn't think that one through properly, and it turned into a bit of a disaster. A lady at the Parow office told me that the system became flooded with multiple applications from the same students, which they then had to sift through manually. They have obviously abandoned that platform for now, and reverted to the rather primitive web form that most of us would have used this year.

It's really sad to see the UNISA administration getting worse and worse every year - especially when you consider that student enrolments have actually dropped consistently since 2013!

Anyway, it's been nearly three months since I applied for an Honours and I still haven't had a response yet, other than the acknowledgment e-mail a month ago. Grumble.



I am no IT expert, but isn't there a way of letting the system folder out duplicate requests? Wouldn't putting the student number tell the system that the person has already applied?
Mikeymun
Third Year Boarder
Posts: 313
graphgraph
Points: 1623
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258756
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1092
Mikeymun wrote:
[img/] Jude the Obscure wrote:
bigron wrote:
Thyphoidjack wrote:
O.o

Yes i did notice this myself.

Normally all the years there is a "early to mid December" registration for current students, then closed over Christmas and New Years.
Then the main registration opened usually in the second week of January.

I also find this rather Odd. I guess it has to do with the results for S2 2016 only being released on 15 December (and be honest A LOT of faculties don't even care about the official date - modules such as FAC1501/1601 etc are notorious).

Add to this, some disruption (or the excuse thereof #FeesMustFall and their protests at Pretoria campuses) earlier this year.

And i think thats why we can register from these new dates (03 Jan 2017).

Although personally liked to register myself in Dec then buy the necessary textbooks in Jan (was a bit of a financial breather - esp if you taking 4/5 subjects).
So basically 50% registration fee (approx R3500) then your textbooks (which i saw for me last semester was about R750 per book), it adds up rather fast.



I think it has much more to do with the new Application process - a big administrative load that did not exist before.
Basically the same staff handle Applications and Registrations.

Last year they were overwhelmed and could not cope - so I think they have delayed Registration so that it does not overlap with Applications in order not to overload the staff.


You may well be right about the fact that they now have to process applications as well as registrations - that alone would certainly increase the administrative overhead.

Remember the new "Student Admin Portal" that was launched last year with some fanfare? Evidently they didn't think that one through properly, and it turned into a bit of a disaster. A lady at the Parow office told me that the system became flooded with multiple applications from the same students, which they then had to sift through manually. They have obviously abandoned that platform for now, and reverted to the rather primitive web form that most of us would have used this year.

It's really sad to see the UNISA administration getting worse and worse every year - especially when you consider that student enrolments have actually dropped consistently since 2013!

Anyway, it's been nearly three months since I applied for an Honours and I still haven't had a response yet, other than the acknowledgment e-mail a month ago. Grumble.



I am no IT expert, but isn't there a way of letting the system folder out duplicate requests? Wouldn't putting the student number tell the system that the person has already applied?


The problem was that the system generated the student numbers for new applicants - each time a student applied again they were given a new (different) student number.
It is possible to check for duplicate applications - but not actually straight forward. You can have people who have the same name, live in the same town, in the same block of flats for example.

Many students did not get a timeous response - so they just submitted another application.

One way would be to use ID numbers, which should be unique (but not always so in SA !) - the problem then is international students who have different ID systems, or who may even have the same ID number as a SA student.

So, the Unisa system did not adequately detect duplicate applications - and they had to resort to manual methods to sort it out.
bigron
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 3456
graph
Points: 9352
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258758
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1
Personally to me it is still NO excuse.

You cant keep trying to make new policies and procedures and force them when they dont work.
UNISA, seems to be more and more bureaucratic with every semester. Which is probably why it is starting to fail at its own processes now.
NO one is sure of what and if they allowed to do anything anymore.

In this particular case (registrations), why is the burden shifted to the student?
This is both time and financially burdensome to the student.

All because UNISA, wants staff to double up work load in the same periods?

I am starting to wonder if #FeesMustFall and #RhodesMustFall were such a good idea at UNISA?
In this case, the extra workers they hired at busy periods like now (applications and before Dec registrations) and January's main Registrations.
Seems that the burdens have been shifted to the Students.
1) More time at centers trying to register
2) Costs cant be split now

Anyways, it is how they choose to run the University.
Guess we have to suck it up then.
Lets see how it goes at registration 2017
Thyphoidjack
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 74
graphgraph
Points: 282
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#258768
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 0
wish registration was much earlier as opposed to 3rd January
Tabbz
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 54
graphgraph
Points: 192
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#259820
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 2 Weeks ago Karma: 13
Same here,

I like to get the books early to start when I'm ready. With registration opening on 3 Jan two things are going to happen:
1. the servers are going to crash due to the large numbers of registrations ( and then we'll have to queue for a week)
2. Books are going to take a long time to arrive and they're going to have to work twice as hard to get the job done on time.

They should've opened it now for online registration only and delivery of material and resolving of problems in January. That would've taken a load off the systems at least.

RATS!!!!!
shiprat
Second Semester Boarder
Posts: 71
graphgraph
Points: 431
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#259961
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 11
This is on UNISA's website "Registration for 2017 opens on 3 January 2017 (with some exceptions)."

what does this mean?
Rellzz
Third Year Boarder
Posts: 302
graphgraph
Points: 1277
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
BBA 98316 - Bachelor of Business Administration
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#259970
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 1092
Rellzz wrote:
This is on UNISA's website "Registration for 2017 opens on 3 January 2017 (with some exceptions)."

what does this mean?


Refers to this -

Exceptions

College of Science, Engineering and Technology (excluding Computing students)

Students may register outside of the prescribed registration dates. Contact the Master's and Doctoral Administration for assistance, as you will not be able to register online once registrations close for other qualifications.

+27 11 471 3296; mandd@unisa.ac.za

Master of Science in Nature Conservation (Full Dissertation) (98022)

Decision Sciences

Students may register outside of the prescribed registration dates. Contact the Master's and Doctoral Administration for assistance, as you will not be able to register online once registrations close for other qualifications.
bigron
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 3456
graph
Points: 9352
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#259984
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 0
Hi All,

I will be a new student in 2017, but I'm struggling to understand the modules.

1. What is the difference between a year-module and a semester-module?

and

2. How will I be able to understand the prescribed student fees?

Refer to this page:

Prescribed student fees

There are three categories:
- half module
- paper/module
- module

If one wants to complete a module in a semester, which category would apply?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I would rather do it right
Chams1001
Fresh Out of Matric
Posts: 13
graphgraph
Points: 82
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#259986
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 1092
Chams1001 wrote:
Hi All,

I will be a new student in 2017, but I'm struggling to understand the modules.

1. What is the difference between a year-module and a semester-module?

and

2. How will I be able to understand the prescribed student fees?

Refer to this page:

Prescribed student fees

There are three categories:
- half module
- paper/module
- module

If one wants to complete a module in a semester, which category would apply?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I would rather do it right


The duration of a semester module is one semester ie: approx 1/2 year.
The duration of a year module is a full academic year.

It is not a matter of choice, modules are either semester or year modules - look at the curriculum for your qualification.
Most undergraduate modules are semester modules, you register for them either in S1, or S2.

Fees - just look at "module / paper".
bigron
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 3456
graph
Points: 9352
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#260000
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 1092
The "Study Fees Quotation" facility on the Unisa website is now working.
bigron
Master's Candidate Boarder
Posts: 3456
graph
Points: 9352
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#260003
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 4
bigron wrote:
The "Study Fees Quotation" facility on the Unisa website is now working.

Thank you Bigron..
SimphiweM
Third Year Boarder
Posts: 169
graphgraph
Points: 915
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#260006
Re:Registration 2017 4 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 32
shiprat wrote:
Same here,

I like to get the books early to start when I'm ready. With registration opening on 3 Jan two things are going to happen:
1. the servers are going to crash due to the large numbers of registrations ( and then we'll have to queue for a week)
2. Books are going to take a long time to arrive and they're going to have to work twice as hard to get the job done on time.

They should've opened it now for online registration only and delivery of material and resolving of problems in January. That would've taken a load off the systems at least.

RATS!!!!!
Register online when it hits 0:00 3 Jan 2017.
pratlou
Honours Student Boarder
Posts: 388
graphgraph
Points: 1426
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
S1 2017: AIN 2601 (Supp)
AUE 3701
AUE 3702
FAC 3703
MAC 3701
MAC 3702

2017: Investment analysis and Portfolio Management
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bcom Accounting Science - Financial Accounting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
53637445@mylife.unisa.ac.za
If my post was helpful,Dont be shy to hit that karma button,
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
Go to topPage: 12345678...12

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?