StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA)
Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 10
Hi Guys,

I've been thinking lately, which one of the 2 above do you prefer and why.

I'm currently in my 3rd year of Bcompt Accounting and have been planning on applying for CTA next year. Now I've been reading on the CIMA qualification and it looks interesting, basically I'm now thinking that maybe I should apply for it instead...The problem is that I will need to register for 3 more modules as NDP for me to qualify for the Management Postgraduate, and apart from that, I struggled(struggling) a lot with the MAC modules and basically hate them. However I think about all the other hard work that needs to be put in when studying towards a CA qualification. I don't think I have the right patience and also thinking about the 3 year articles that I will need to do. I'm currently working , I don't think I can settle for a smaller salary for 3 years. or is it possible to do them part time ( meaning, I will do CTA part time, work full time at my current employer and somehow include articles in there- part time?)

Those that are currently studying towards the Management Accounting degree / postgraduate, would you recommend it? and what are the pros and cons. I don't know much about it, does it also require 3 years of articles?

Current/previous CTA students also welcome to contribute!

Regards
Lee
Lee_NK
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Completed Bcompt Financial Accounting

2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Accounting Sciences (98255) Flames
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 12
I am doing the management accounting degree for CIMA afterwards. If you hate going the articles route then the CTMA is for you. It`ll take you straight to the final level of CIMA. Both CTMA and CIMA are doable in that you`re not supposed to pass all modules of a level in one sitting. Yes they do want 3 years experience to qualify as CIMA but you don`t need to take a lower salary. Any accounting experience you have accumulated will be considered if it can be verified and signed off by a qualified accountant. If you still want your CA later, CIMA is convertable to CA(SA) and SAICA will exempt you some exams.
Dandy
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Bachelor of Accounting Sciences in Financial Accounting
First Year:
AIN1501 | AUE1601 | CAS1501* | CLA1503 | DSC1630* | ECS1501 | FAC1502 | FAC1601 | MNB1501* |

Second Year:
AUE2602 | ECS1601 | FAC2601 | MNB1601 |

Re: Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 10
Thanks Dandy, its a tough decision, I will think about it long and hard...your input helps, thank you
Lee_NK
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Completed Bcompt Financial Accounting

2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Accounting Sciences (98255) Flames

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
I was actually advised to rather go straight to CIMA after obtaining the degree and registering as a student. That way, you can find yourself finishing three levels(if you don't get credited for the operational one) in 18 or 24months (I stand to be corrected here).

Then again, there's still the working experience which you can do whilst writing the exams as long as it is in the financial industry. (Again, open to correction as I don't have all the info and also want some help in this regard)

Basically, it would get you off like a year rather than having done CtMA first which for us Bcompt Acc students will be two years then the exams. Oh, and seeing that the syllabus was changed, I heard we're actually starting with the integrated exam on the managerial level instead of Strategic level after completing the CtMA as the postgraduate is not on par with the changed syllabus.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Bern_s
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Bcompt Financial Accounting (98302) : Completed 2015

Bachelor of Laws (98680) : S1 2017 - FLS1501, FLS1502, SCL1501, SCL1502, SJD1501
Credits: ILW1501, PVL1501 and FAC1503(Pending application)

\"... because the world needs people who have come alive...\" - Oprah

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hey Guys,

Thank you for this thread, I am also thinking of doing CTMA after Bcom Financial Accounting.

I would like to know, do I have to apply for NDP, or should I apply for PGD CTMA and then register for NDP?

I see applying for the advance diploma in accounting sciences is also an option, but that would mean an extra year of Post Grad.

Thank you for your help.
DAYNEG
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph
Bcompt Financial Accounting. Final Year 2015

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 9
Hi Guys,

Im also in the same boat as u guys. Im doin Bcompt. I suck at MAC subjects. I don't want to go through the CA route, my sanity wudnt survive it. My options are between CIMA/CTMA/Post graduate Dip in tax. I love tax but it will limit how far i can ho careerwise as i see 99% of tax jobs advertised require a CA or Attorney with a HDip in tax, so im wary of putting money in a bird that wont fly. CIMA on the other hand is lucrative - some jobs requiring CIMA say Cima + honours degree preferable. How do employers percieve post graduate diplomas as opposed to honours? I see UNISA has moved towards more post graduate diplomas and almost non existent honours degrees. So dont know whether to do the diploma or go straight into Cima.
CHRISHA88
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 2 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hi Guys.

I'm also doing the Management accounting degree. Still stuck onto whether to go directly to CIMA after finishing the degreez or do the CTMA.
Reason being I was told by one of these CIMA tuition providers that the CTMA mostly comprises of your CIMA Management & Strategic Management papers, meaning when u complete it. It would be easier for you to write that pathway Exam before you can commence on your strategic level. Its advantage would be that when you go to do the strategic level papers at CIMA you would have then been firmiliar with the coursework.
The advantage of doing the CTMA would be that you have a honours degree ( as the post grad is equivalent to nqf8 which is honours). And the strategic level coursework would be farmiliar as you would have tackled it in your ctma.
The only drawback is time and duplication of work. As it would take you longer to reach the cima designation compared to someone who went straight to CIMA with their degree.

My struggle is not knowing whether to go directly to CIMA or do the CTMA as both pathways have their advantage.
vigorous95
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 1
What was the outcome here? I'm stuck at the same crossroads at the moment. I've already applied for CTMA, and pretty sure I want to do it, but I'd still like some input from guys with personal experience
an3s
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 5
I am doing CTMA(98205) this year,maximum is 3 years for the Postgraduate Diploma in Management Accounting,which is 5 modules,MAC4863,MAC4865,MAC4866,MAC4867 and MAC4868 which is a case study.The case study covers all 4 modules and thereafter you go straight to Strategic Level with CIMA which is the highest level comprising 3 papers and a case study.The next step is application for membership with CIMA.Management Accounting is internal reporting and Financial Accounting is external reporting.
AAH286
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2017/01/12 17:29 By AAH286.Reason: maximum

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 0
Thank you for all these info

I am on the same route -- problem,

Can`t decide between CTA or CIMA.

Is it better to go from BCOMPT undergrad straight to CIMA or rather do Postgrad CTMA through UNISA and then to CIMA?

Can someone please email me the study material for CTMA - jstoltenkamp@gmail.com I want to have a look at it, before I register. Have to finalise my registration by next week.

The practical experience with CTMA, do you have to do it through an accredited company or can my Financial manager (She is a CA) sign it off?

Thank you so much for all your help
Joke
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 0
Also -- those who went straight to CIMA

I am in Cape Town, where do I go? Where do I register?
Joke
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 1
Some good inputs, thanks! The 3 years for CTMA mentioned above is maximum, minimum is 1 year. It seems going directly to CIMA after undergraduate completed will save you a year in studies (from what I've read on other forums) vs doing CTMA 1st. But it also seems like Honours, CTMA is at the same level being NQF 8, is very often a requirement/desire in job offers.
an3s
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Still waiting for feedback on my application for CTA.
The waiting is killing me, would it help if I go to the reginal offices to enquire?
khayemike
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 2
Hi guys, thank you for all the insight, i'll be doing my CTMA this year, i haven't registered, will register later on because "money problems", those who have the past study guides, will you kindly forward these so that i can start with my studies, my email address is lottimakhubalo@gmail.com. Thank you in advance.
lothandom
First Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 4
I agree. Go straight to CIMA. You can get you're exemptions for your degree (where applicable) and then continue with the rest. Otherwise you do and pay Unisa for the postgrad courses as well as pay CIMA for exemptions for those courses (which is not that much different from doing their actual courses). In total, your expenses will be almost halved by going straight to CIMA.
WannabeQuant
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 5
Oh yes,I misunderstood it is maximum 3 years,NQF level 8 and total credits is 120 for Postgraduate Diploma in Management Accounting(CTMA)(98205)

I have attached brochures but the FAQ might change as now MAC4864 is replaced with MAC4865 since last year 2016.
File Attachment:
File Name: 3206CIMADLBrochure.pdf
File Size: 131598
AAH286
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2017/01/12 16:14 By AAH286.

FAQs 2016 for Postgraduate diploma and Honours
File Attachment:
File Name: Management_Accounting_CIMA_Frequently_asked_questions_2016.pdf
File Size: 360176
AAH286
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2017/01/12 16:19 By AAH286.Reason: none

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 10 Months ago Karma: 10
Hi Guys

Maybe some one can assist me

If you have done BCOM Internal Auditing is there a bridging qualification to get admitted to CTA that one can do ?
elena
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
BCompt 98302 - FAC
Bcom Business Informatics (Completed 2017)

Re:Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 9 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 0
Greetings good people,

I will be registering for the CTMA programme at the end of the month. If there is anyone kind enough, who would email me the study guide of MAC4867 meanwhile as I wait for funds to register, please do, i would gladly appreciate that.

As for those who have registered or are to register, I wish you all a blessed and fruitful year of studies. Remember, Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance (5P rule).

My email is rodgemann@gmail.com.
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re: Postgraduate in Fin vs Man Accounting (CTA v CTMA) 9 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 13
Dandy wrote:
I am doing the management accounting degree for CIMA afterwards. If you hate going the articles route then the CTMA is for you. It`ll take you straight to the final level of CIMA. Both CTMA and CIMA are doable in that you`re not supposed to pass all modules of a level in one sitting. Yes they do want 3 years experience to qualify as CIMA but you don`t need to take a lower salary. Any accounting experience you have accumulated will be considered if it can be verified and signed off by a qualified accountant. If you still want your CA later, CIMA is convertable to CA(SA) and SAICA will exempt you some exams.

If I'm not mistaken, you would still need to do SAICA articles at a SAICA accredited training firm. Then you still going to get a crappie salary
Ibanez01
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Go to topPage: 12

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?