StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501
Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 8
Greetings my fellow students.

I hope somebody can give me some advise on the following matter. In 2007 I registered with UNISA to study LLB and completed my studies in 2012. On inquiring on my graduation, I was informed that although I have sufficient credits (400) to complete my degree, I did not complete EUP1501 as a required subject. Stunned and not knowing how I was able to miss this subject, I read through my 2007 curriculum and found that the subject was not part of the curriculum for the said year. On further research, I found that the subject was added to the curriculum in 2010. Is this not a clear infringement on the contract that came to being between UNISA and myself?

Cordially I refer you to pg 18 of the Curriculums: College of Law 2012, which states the following: "Students who have passed CRW101V retain credit for that module and must not register for CRW2601 or EUP1501." I have completed CRW201X on the 13th of October 2008 and CRW101U on the 28th of October 2008. Am I blind and missing something? I know there was a significant change to the subject codes at UNISA, but still why should I suddenly do a first years subject 3 years after I have commenced my studies!?

If any of you have had a similar problem, please help met out. According to UNISA, I need to register for the second semester and will hopefully on receive my degree next year April.

Thank you,
Kilian
Kilian
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 15
Hi Killian,

You are making me very worried now!!! I started in 2009, and this is my final semester. On numerous occasions I went to UNISA to confirm this same issue that you are having now, as I also completed the modules that are required for exemption. Their admin are absolutely useless! I fought with them almost every single time I went there, as they kept on saying that I still need to complete. The last time I was there I told them they are not helpful at all and I would prefer speaking to someone that actually knows something. After a while the manager came out, and printed a copy of the old curriculum and confirmed that I am indeed exempted from this module. Last semester I went again to confirm and this time admin told me I definitely am exempted from doing EUP1501.

I would definitely suggest emailing Professor Slabbert, she is very helpful. Her email address is: slabbm@unisa.ac.za and cc the following people as well (not sure if they are still at UNISA, but it is worth a try) Bezuim@unisa.ac.za and Matloj@unisa.ac.za.

I emailed them now and said that I want confirmation that I AM exempted from doing EUP!

All the best and I hope you get an answer soon!

Regards,
Jacqueline
Jacqueline 1984
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 8
Thank you Jacqueline. I have drafted an email to Prof Slabbert to see if she can assist me. I know for a fact EUP1501 was not part of the 2007 curriculum, as I still have a copy of the booklet with me.

Can anyone tell me when exactly did EUP1501 form part of the curriculum?
Kilian
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
I started 2010 and it was compulsory for me....I think that was the first year....could be wrong.
liepies
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

You are making me very VERY nervous. It's my final semester, and I have confirmed NUMEROUS times that I don't need to take it as I passed both CRW subjects.

Prof Havenga, Director of the law school wrote back confirming this.

"Kindly note that According to our records, you do not have to do EUP because you have passed CRW101U."

Please let us know what happens in your case!!!
lawgirl23
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

My fellow students, bellow is the letter I wrote to UNISA:

Dear Prof,

I do hope you can assist me with my situation I currently have with UNISA. I enrolled with UNISA in 2007 with the LLB program. I completed all the subjects according to the 2007 curriculum in 2012. I still have the booklet and drew a line through each of the subjects as I completed them. During my final year registration I indicated that I was a final year student. According to my record I have enough credits (400) to complete my degree.

Earlier today on inquiring if it is possible to register to graduate on the 26th of April, I was informed by Natalie Klapwijk (PA to Mr SG Maemola - Deputy Student Admission and Registration) that I have sufficient credits, but my degree is incomplete. She informed me that I still have to complete EUP1501. This was a surprise as I followed my degree according to the 2007 curriculum.

Page 18 of the 2012 Curriculums: College of Law states the following: "Students who have passed CRW101V retain credit for that module and must not register for CRW2601 or EUP1501." According to my humble academic record, I completed CRW101U on the 27th of October 2009 and CRW201X a few days earlier on the 13th of October. I know a lot of subject codes have changed, but what am I missing here? According to the 2010 UNISA LLB curriculum, EUP1501 only applied for students that started their studies in that year. Am I not contractually bound to the curriculum set out for 2007? Please do note that I did complete HMLLB80, which was added later to the curriculum, but the advantage of HMLLB80 is clear, should I want to continue post graduate education.

In addition, one of my study partners were told on inquiry that she has been exempted from EUP1501 as she completed CRW101U and CRW201X in her first year of studies in 2009.

I will commence my article internship later this year in May 2013 at Legal Aid, subjected that I provide them with proof of my degree. I now have to wait until the second semester to register and then only graduate in April/May 2014. Legal Aid can not guarantee me an opening in 2014.

Description: Image removed by sender.

I beg you to have a look into my case and assist me.

Yours sincerely,
Kilian
Kilian
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2013/04/10 18:09 By Kilian.

The reply:

Dear Mr Kilian

I refer to your E-mail herein regarding the EUP1501 module.

I wish to clarify the following :

- EUP1501 was introduced by the College of Law as a compulsory module for the LLB curriculum and applied to all cases, irrespective of your first registration year for the LLB degree;

- In implementing this new development, a transitional arrangement was introduced as under bullet 10 of Rule L15n set out on page 16 of the attached brochure of the College of law;

- Rules and curriculums are subject to change, hence the Declaration and undertaking that students sign at the bottom of a registration form (hardcopy /web/self-help) every academic year when renewing their registration and it reads: “ ....and I undertake to comply with the rules, regulations and decisions of the University, and any amendments thereto, and have taken note of advice which may be applicable to students in general and /or to the field of study for which I intend to register.”

To wrap up, you are kindly advised to register and pass the module under discussion when registration for the second semester re-opens from 03 June until 12 July 2013, in order to fully comply with the requirements for the LLB degree.

With kind regards

Mr S. Jiane
Supervisor : College of Law
Directorate: Student Admissions and Registrations
0G-01A Eskia Mphahlele
Tel: (012) 441-5703
Fax : (012) 429-4150

With kind regards my ass!
Kilian
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
I too registered in 2007. When EUP was introduced, I decided to take it on the basis that for me it would be much easier to pass EUP without studying than an elective. As I got close to finishing last year I requested a statement of which modules I still need to complete my LLB. The response was that for me the EUP does not count because I already took and passed CRW101U. Therefore I would need to complete an extra elective and finish my degree with 41 credits.

Ugh, UNISA sure is confused!
keliush
First Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 21
I think the reason why because EUP as change so dramatically.from end users support too ethical communication.I wish you all good luck. and hopefully they sorted out the communication story we are sitting with no. But if not I'll try to post videos to help all new students. All the really started with 3 videos which is on YouTube. Under Eup1501
s.djohnson
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
I do it with voice I do it with Dragon!!

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 21
This will probably become a pre-requisite to all subjects in the future for UNISA. This is just a prediction
s.djohnson
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
I do it with voice I do it with Dragon!!

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
You are being helped by wrong people. Just go to UNISA in person and you will come with your damn certificate. The rules are quite clear, Like you mentioned, the new syllabus does not affect you. My course syllabus has changed significantly since I registered and I still follow the old syllabus.

don't get excited thou because UNISA is can be stubborn. I though I had finished my coarse last year only to be told that I have to do this EUP1501 crap. My case was different to yours as I had applied to be exempted because I had ICDL.

goodluck
moutia
First Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

This is our last hope!

BY EMAIL:
ombudsman@unisa.ac.za

OR CONTACT:
Ms Dikeledi Hlabangane
Tel: 0861 10 66 88 / 012 481 2874 
File Attachment:
File Name: Ombudsman_ReferralForm_20Nov2012.pdf
File Size: 36153
Jacqueline 1984
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

File Attachment:
File Name: Ombudsman_brochure_final.pdf
File Size: 94283
Jacqueline 1984
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Kilian,

Drop me your email address in a private message, I would like to forward you the emails CONFIRMING that we don't need to take EUP. As law students, we know that written evidence is going to be in our favour. If they DARE tell me that I will have to take another year to finish my degree, I will be flying back to SA from the Netherlands to cause a shit storm of note....
lawgirl23
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

I just received confirmation from Prof Dr Sibanda, Acting Director: School of Law, that I do not need to do this module.....

So Killian you also don't need to do this module. I'll send Ms Jiane an email now.....to inform her she must speak to the Director regarding this issue. They must start getting their facts in order, no on knows exactly what's happening. I'll definitely be printing and keeping this email save, should the need arise to start a fight when I finish this semester.

His reply was the following:
Dear Student

According to the relevant Unisa office your curriculum is in order and you need not do EUP1501 as per the transitional arrangement of 2010.  You will complete your  qualification if you pass all the registered modules this year.

Kind regards

Prof.Dr Omphemetse S Sibanda
LLD (Int'l Econ Law) - NWU; LLM - Georgetown; LLB(Hon), B Juris - Vista; Cert Mngt - Univ. Pretoria
Professor  and Acting Director: School of Law
College of Law, UNISA
Tel: + 27 (0) 12 429 8374
e-Mail: sibanos@unisa.ac.za
Fax-to-eMail: 086 774 4370
Jacqueline 1984
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi Moutia

Were you exempt from doing EUP1501 because of your ICDL certificate. I also applied for exemption from EUP1501 because i have an ICDL certificate but have not received any feedback from UNISA
gertf
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 6
I do not think that you have a chance. I have not looked, but I would not be surprised to see somewhere in the University rules something about course changes / additions at the university's leisure.
kb1001
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
@ gertf

they did not exempt me. I spent 5 days lodging next to their main campus bothering everyday but came out empty handed. In my case, they had a point, I should have applied for exemption before 2010. trust me, don't waste your time and money to pursue this exemption. they don't allow it at all. I'm left with only EUP1501 to finish my course
moutia
First Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

@gertf...I spoke to Unisa in 2010 about being exempt because of the ICDL (back when I thought I had to take EUP). They were not interested in the ICDL qualification....
lawgirl23
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Kilian vs UNISA in re EUP1501 1 Year, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
@Killian, you should definitely be exempt. My fiancée was told that she need not register for EUP due to her having completed CRW101U (we went in to query this as the rules refer to CRW101V which does not exist).
This year, she panicked and registered for EUP, as it was on the list of modules still outstanding for her degree on the online registration page.
After many emails, it was again confirmed that she does not need this module as she has passed CRW.
I too think you are speaking to the wrong people. Keep fighting this, you will come right... Congrats on your degree!
nadjo
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
Moderators: dirkd, Amanda1, Shazie, alsoran, ostachio

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?