StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Struggling to get into study mode
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Struggling to get into study mode
Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm registered for the new BCompt degree, second part of first year. I did the first part in 2008 and wrote my exams while pregnant with my first and only child. As a result and for financial reasons I couldn't carry on with my studies. My daughter is now 2 and a half, am working full time at a deadend job. I asked for a raise so I could study this year, however I'm finding it hard to get into studying. I don't really have time but I'm determined to do it. I drop my baby @ daycare at 6:45 and am at work by 8am, I have a 30 minute lunch so I can leave at 4:30pm. Fetch baby between 5:30 and 6. By 7 we have had our super and by 8 she is asleep and I'm so exhausted I can't keep my eyes open. If I'm not tired I try to study but my daughter won't want to sleep. I then came up with a strategy to sleep as early as 8pm and wake at 3am to study cos I did that when I was studying before, it worked for 2 days by the 3rd I was just staring at jumbled words, 4th day slept through the alarm and after that I didn't even bother. I have had my study material for 2 weeks now and have done a lot of nothing. I don't know if my brain is now not able to take in new info l

ike when I was young, I'm turning 29 this year, or I'm too intimidated by the amount of work. I need help from you guys; how are you managing your time especially with kids and work? How do I get into study mode, do I need to take energy boasters/suppliments? Any advice is welcome.
TCN
TCN
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 19
Ohhhhh TCN. We had a wonderful few threads about exactly this. I want you to search the thread FIRST-TIMER 2012 (i got wonderful advice regarding time management there! Also search the thread STUDY TIME TABLE OR GO TO SNW groups, join the group LLB Mommies and see under there for threads that might touch this subject.

I was also studying fulltime at Stellenbosch when i was pregnant with my daughter (she's 4 now), i graduated when she was only 6 weeks old.

Feels like i'm telling this story over and over again. But please, search the above threads and also numerous other threads on "study time table", "Time management" and key words in that regard, you'll see lots of threads on issues like this.

I'm assuming you're a single mom? Because if you are not it's time to have a talk with your partner. If you are ready to study and your daughter is still awake, your partner should be stepping in there. He should definitely keep the little one occupied or put her to bed or something. Your support structure is very important! If you're a single mommy, well, there's lots of other single mommies on here, such as myself (well, not really because i'm sacked up together with my fiance), but we can probably give you a few tips.

I can start by giving you the one tip that i give everybody because it works FOR ME. You can try it and if it doesn't work nobody will be losing sleep over it.

A good supplement is the key to MY day. We are so busy, few of us has time to sit done for a decent meal with all the nutrients that we need to keep in the game. My doctor advised me to use DS-24. A multivitamin. He uses it himself. I usually eat everything on sight, but it's not always healthy, but since i've been using this vitamin i feel like i can stretch my days longer into the evenings, and i definitely get up feeling like i've SLEPT.

Getting your diet or your energy levels right is probably what you need to fix first. Believe me, you can have the fanciest time table and the cutest study methods but if your energy levels are low you're screwed.

Now go on and read the threads mentioned above, wait for other ladies to give input and then we dive into your problem.

Goodluck, dear.

PS: I'll be 29 in Aug this year, so scrap the "when you were young" part You can do it, like the rest of us!
JADESTAR
Master's Candidate Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/24 17:35 By JADESTAR.
Education is like working your garden - Someday we will reap the fruits of seeds planted under all conditions of the mind, heart and soul. - Says ME

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Jade for the reassurance and advice. Will be looking and searching around on the site. I will also go to my doctor and see what he can suggest in terms of suppliments cos I really need a booster. As it is I'm on my lunch and have been staring at my pc since 8am and nodding off to lala-land, only to be woken up by the phone. At least now I'm getting a bit of fresh air even if its half an hour. But my mind is already on - I can't wait to get home-attitude. But I'm going to make it.
I have a partner the father of my baby but we don't live togather since we are not married, but he takes her for weekends, I current stay just with my angel and my visiting brother. Family is another story altogather!!
TCN
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

I'll inbox you my whatsapp contact and my bbm pin. You need support. That's what you need.
JADESTAR
graphgraph
graphgraph
Education is like working your garden - Someday we will reap the fruits of seeds planted under all conditions of the mind, heart and soul. - Says ME

Thanx gal.
TCN
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Mam tell me about it, Women,multitasking beings.

My advice is u should try the mornings. I have learnt if u r tired,u will become so much unfruitful .

I am registered with Thutong @ Unisa,sort of Tutorials. There r classes in the week,n classes on Saturday. That helps me a lot. U prepare before going to class n becomes easier when class.

Or even get a partner doin same subjects. Then u get to push each other

GoodLuck Girlfriend
tshimollo1998
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Thanx tshimollo, its really hard being a woman! I think what I'm scared of is failing when I have sacrificed so much to be here. But I'm slowly getting motivation and sisterly support so I think I will be okay.
TCN
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -1
its like all you single mommies are doing things on your own

and i admire you guys for that

but what about the kiddies fathers..

don't they provide maintenance or some sort of support

i really wouldnt manage studying like that let alone all the other things that you guys do on your own

wish you all the best in your studies @tcn

srkgal786
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

so do you work weekends aswell @tcn
srkgal786
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -5
HI ALL,

glad to know there are other mommies out there doing the same dance of studyin and being a mom.

i can totally sympathise, right now ive locked my twoyr old daughter out of my room and can hear her screaming for me.(she's sitting with our help)...

it kills me to do such a thing but thats the only way i get time to studyin.Im hoping she'll finally get the msg that mommy is busy :0/

I dont have great advice, all i can say is YOU'RE NOT ALONE
Zaza254
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hi srkgal786.

In my case i dont stay with the father of my baby cos we are not yet married, however whenever i need him to look after her he is always there. Especially on weekends, its during the week that im a sigle mom so to speak.
TCN
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

hey just stayvery motivated...if you're determined enough you'll di great especially under your circumstances...why dont you apply for the NSFAS bursary?there are so many benefits and financial help..you could also try applying with the Attorneys Fidelity Fund...the nice thing about this bursary is that they give you an allowance too..
good luck
MRSprestige
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Struggling to get into study mode 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 22
hey tcn

we are all here for you, we have been through similar situations & we can relate.

i just only got into the study mood this week & i have had my material since January so dont feel bad.

just take it easy but slowly get into it and u will find your feet.

Jade does have wonderful advice.

tried & tested
Fatimah
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hi Ladies

I just found out about this website yesterday and immediately registered , I must say I'm greatly encouraged by all you Mommies ,

I'm also a single Mom to a 4 year old boy (with no support from the Father ) however God is seeing me through it all . I'm completing my Bcompt degree which I also could not complete earlier at University because of financial constraints ,I'm hoping to finish next year .

I work full time also and it encourages me to see that I'm not alone in this journey .

Hold on Ladies we are gonna make it , just stay positive and imagine how our lives will be so much better when we get those degrees ,

Someone spoke about a multivitamin given by the Doctor some DS24 (correct me if I'm wrong )
Where can one get it ?

just take it one day at a time but challenge yourself , you wil get there
gkau
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

gkau wrote:
Hi Ladies

I just found out about this website yesterday and immediately registered , I must say I'm greatly encouraged by all you Mommies ,

I'm also a single Mom to a 4 year old boy (with no support from the Father ) however God is seeing me through it all . I'm completing my Bcompt degree which I also could not complete earlier at University because of financial constraints ,I'm hoping to finish next year .

I work full time also and it encourages me to see that I'm not alone in this journey .

Hold on Ladies we are gonna make it , just stay positive and imagine how our lives will be so much better when we get those degrees ,

Someone spoke about a multivitamin given by the Doctor some DS24 (correct me if I'm wrong )
Where can one get it ?

just take it one day at a time but challenge yourself , you wil get there

Hi Gkau and welcome!

I have mentioned the vitamin DS-24. I am a mommy to a 4 year old girl, and work fulltime as well. Unmarried.

I have found that i wake up tired in the mornings because my daughter can't sleep before 11pm and she wakes up once or twice during the night for some love or milkies, or piepie and what not. I use to crawl through the day and pray to God that somebody will show up to play with my daughter or take her with to the mall so i can just get an hour of SLEEP.

Anyway, went to the doctor and he told me about DS-24, gave me 6 months' prescription. (You don't need a prescription, though), he also gave me a good pro-biotic and i must tell you, i've never looked back. You can get it at any leading pharmacy.

My daughter still goes to bed at 11pm, i still wake up twice a night, BUT, i get up in the mornings feeling like a flower in bloom, lol! And at night i start studying around 7pm or 8pm and i push right through to midnight and then i can still go to bed and fight my fiance off

I just make sure that i get at least 6.5 hours of sleep, so i don't run on fake energy, but rather healthy, "deserved" energy.

I have also changed my diet a bit, eating as usual but adding more fruits and actually forcing myself to have breakfast. I drink more water as well. Could be the fruits and water, could be the forced breakfast, could be the mulitvitamins, could be a combination, but ladies, i feel absolutely ready for my life right now!

Gosh, i feel like a cheap, lifestyle ad on tv!
JADESTAR
graphgraph
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/29 19:57 By JADESTAR.

hey gkau

welcome to snw
srkgal786
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

i wish i had a kiddie too cos you all got kiddies.. LoL..

anyway out of curiosity what are all your kiddies names
srkgal786
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: dirkd, Amanda1, Shazie, alsoran, ostachio

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?