StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Anybody else working and studying?
Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 28
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the site so I'll do my intro and question one time

Name's Steve-o and I'm 22 years old. I've been doing my BCom: HRM course for 3 years now. I work from 8am to 4:30pm (Monday to Friday) and study every week night (sometimes on the weekend if needed). I'm basically a '2nd year' student with just one subject still 1st year (Accounting )

Now that's over and done with, how do you guys handle studying whilst working full-time? From an academic to attitude.
I've found that 3 modules a sem work best for me. Basically try to finish a study unit a night (3 hours) and have the 4th day in case of whatever (sick, didn't finish, assignments).
It's going well I guess but I'm sure I can improve my general studying methods. I'm not a star student by any means but did get my Matric Exemption through an IEB school. So how do you guys structure your schedule?

I feel my biggest hurdle is fatigue and focus. I find it very hard to put in +-3 hours of good quality studying a night after a long day at work. I work for a newspaper doing advert/layout design and it's full RPM just about everyday with deadlines and such. I often come home and just sleep for 2 hours, then drag my books out to study. It's taking it's toll on me mentally these couple years and I'm only half way.
Sorry sounds like I'm having a pity party here, I know, I'm not painting a very rosy picture! However I do feel I'm lucky to have the opportunity to study and I'm young enough to do it without the pressures of having more responsibility like a wife and family. So yeah I do know I'm in fortunate position.
It's just that I don't know anybody that's in the same position as me as it changes your lifestyle completely, so I'm hoping somebody on here feels miserable as me sometimes (no offence )

So please, share your experience if you're working and studying
Steve-o
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -3
Hey Steve-O!

i work everyday, 5 days a week... but only half days, from 1:30, till 6- however only seldom do i ever manage to leave work at 6.. its normally at about 7!

i study for about 4 hours a day... if i can motivate myself enough to actually do it.. and so far its been going ok (im only in first year LLB however, so i may be jumping the gun)

i really admire the fact that you work full time, and still manage to get round to studying in the evenings.
i really do agree with alot of the people on SNW who say that correspondent students (generally) have to work alot harder than full time students!

although i am unable to fully relate to you, i know where you're coming from

so just keep going, and do what works for you. dont feel like you aren't doing enough, just because someone else spends double the time everyday.... no one works the same, or learns the same!!

Good luck with exams
Holly
Inca
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Hey Guys

My name is Janine, I'm 27 and am doing my first year in HRM.
I also work 8.00 - 4.30pm, get home around 5.00pm. relax for about 30 min, cook supper, clean up and then study. I manage about 2 hrs Monday - Thurs, take Friday off, then about 3 - 4 hrs a day on Sat & Sun. My problem is that I registered for 6 modules in my first semester - I was determined to do my degree in the minimum three years, but I now know that it won't be possible with the hrs I study.

I battle to focus, get distracted and bored, epsecially with modules I dislike...sound like I have ADD , but I don't, I procrastinate a lot. I always feel guilty that I'm not studying enough. So next semester I am going to cut back to 4 modules and take a bit longer than I initially wanted to finish.
I just try to stay positive and think of the cool job I'll get when I'm done.

Good luck to both of you, it will all be worth it in the end
Take Care,
Janine
JanineB
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hi Steve O,

I work full time as a Human Resources Manager and have a 7 month old was well as a 3 year old. I am writing my last 4 exams of my LLB next month. It has taken me 10 years to get this far (progress slacked off over the past 4 years with having kids and getting married).

Let me just say that "WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY". Don't give up, keep pushing on. My strategy is that I study in the evenings during the week and the week-ends are my time for my family and to relax. You need to give yourself a break otherwise you will loose steam and motivation.

You'll know that nothing that has even been achieved did not come with many hours of blood, sweat and tears so just keep at it. I bought some tablets called Ultima Brain Fuel from Clicks this week-end to keep me more alert and awake for my late night study sessions now that exams are coming up. Obviously a month before exams you need to excuse yourself from your social and family circles and study on the week-ends too. Do a morning session of 2 hours and then give yourself a break at luchtime and do another session in the afternoon, and again in the evening.

It's important to not try and push on for too long because you will be wasting time and not absorbing anything. They say that you should have a coffee or rest break of 10-15 minutes after every half hour of studying.

Another option is to get into the habit of doing a 2 hours study session from 5-7 in the morning. It will take you 7 days to get used to waking up so early and then after that it will not feel so dreadful!

Keep it up, never give up and know that you are not alone in your quest to study while working!

Good luck!
tclarkez
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 13
I work at a law firm, have been for 5 years now. work monday to friday 7:45 to about 17:15. I've taken 4 modules average but found it hard to pass all four if there's any extra work during exam time or any form of crisis around that time. I study about 10 hours a week 2 months prior to exam, do the assignments a day before due date and then really pick up speed the month prior to exam (then i do about 20 hours a week)

I dont follow a specific diary on which day to study or how long, which i think is a big mistake. I also make no summaries myself. I do often use other peoples during exam time.

My worst weeks are during exams. I have to study about 35-40 hours and only take off the day prior to exam and day of exam.

please dont follow my example because you'll study at least 1 year extra

the best method ive seen is to start early and to a little at least every second day, preferably every single day, 2 good hours per day should be enough for 4 modules. this might not be enough to get mostly distinctions though.

working and studying isnt easy and can be a difficult balancing act at times, but its well worth it and thousands of people do it each year.

good luck
Tank
Master's Candidate Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 82
Hi,

I work in IT for a fashion retailer. Busy with first year (3 modules this semester) so still trying to get to grips with the best time and study methods.

As it is I get to work at about 06:15 and leave between 18:00 and 19:00. Do about 1-2 hours of study a night depending on whose turn it is to cook dinner. Saturdays are study days. Sunday morning is golf , Sunday afternoon is study time. Take Fridays off to have a date night with the missus.

I estimate it will take 5 years to complete the degree allowing for 1 or 2 mishaps along the way.

I guess I will find out after these exams whether I will need to tweak the schedule at all.

Everyone is different but I have always had the utmost respect for people who work and study. It is not easy but as tclarkez said 'where there is a will there is a way.' It's amazing what we can achieve when we put our minds to it.

Do not quit and stick to it. Good Luck.

Cheers,
alsoran
graphgraph
graphgraph
‘ “Would you tell me please which way I go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where,” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat. ’
Alice in Wonderland
by Lewis Carol

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 15
First off, studying part time to my mind shows great commitment, and if I was an employer that would be a big factor.

Get a routine. I prefer morning study, so i make taht my main study time. At night when i get home from work, at 10:30-11pm I just read what ever I can, cases, study guide etc, even if it is half hour.
Also decide on what TV can go. Plan your TV and social life around your studies and notthe other way around.

Before my son was born, I studied 2 hours in the morning and an hour at night. I used a Sunday to do my assignments and generally try to knock them out in one go. This was pre son. Now a routine is far tougher. Generally my study time is at 3 in morning.

As pointed out by some one - Where theres a will theres a way.
I work 6 days a week. Of those 6 days, three are from 9:30am to 10:30. Being in restaurants it is physical, on feet, up down etc, ect, whilst carrying the normal mental stress of the daily problems, challenges and planning.
Add 1 wife and a 1 year old son into the mix, and time is thin. BUT it can be done. It is really tough, BUT we have an opportunity to get educated and seek GREAT jobs, so put the effort in now and reap the rewards later!
Anthony Sterne
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hi guys

I am doing my 4th year at the moment.

I work full time. GEt up at 5am and get home at 6pm. Have to do so much in that short time period. I am so used to it my now.

I sometimes stay late at the office and then study there. I study on weekends and don't really have a social life at the moment. No time fo a relationship either

I am determined to finish and get my degree.

All the best guys. xoxoxo
rifbla
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 36
Hallo SteveO

Welcome to the club.

I work full time as well from 7:30 to 16:00 though I'm up from 5:30 getting ready and making sure I'm at the bus stop on time. M routine looks like this:

5:30 get up
6:15 leave for bus stop
6:30 in bus: study in bus until I a block away from stop in Cape Town
6:50 to 7:20: have coffee and study at coffee shop
Get to work at 7:30
12:45 to 13:30: study in office or coffee shop during lunch.
Leave office at 16:00
Unfortunately the afternoon bus driver drives in such a manner that studying in the afternoon bus is not a good idea. It gives me a headache. So, I don't study in the afternoon bus anymore.

Between 17:00 and 20:00/21:00 I dont' study as I have 2 kids to deal with - my daughter of 6 and her cousin of 9. During this time I relax, prepare supper and help the kids with their homework and wait for the kids to fall asleep and my sister to come from work so I can study.

If I'm in the mood I'll study until 1 in the morning, otherwise I'll call it an early night and study till about 11:30/12:00

I'm studying LLB and am in my 2nd year. My aim is to finish my degree in 5 years. I'm doing 5 modules this semester. I try to give each one the same amount of time. Having already studied one module in the bus and at the coffee shop, I do the next 4 in the time allowed. An hour each at the most, including a 5 minute break between modules and a coffee break after 2 hours.

I study this way Mondays to Fridays. Weekends I have longer time. When I have class on a Saturday, I"ll study from 2 until I'm done with all the modules. Sundays after church from about 1. On weekends I'll study again after my daughter has gone to bed if I feel up to it. What I don't finish, I'll start with the next day.

Usually my routine during exam time differs from my routine at the start. I put more time in in the beginning than during the exam because I start making summaries the moment I get my books. I register the day registration opens. In that week I get my books and read them all,then I start with the summaries. This is usually in December. I register for the whole year once off so that when I'm done with the first semester exams I can start with the second semester modules almost immediately. If I dont' get the guides immediately I download them from MyUnisa and print the first 2 chapters to read them and make summaries.

I summarise all my modules first. I usually work out how many pages I have to do per day so that I'm done with that by the time the assignments are due. I do the assignments as soon as I possibly can to get them out of the way and concentrate on whatever summaries are left, classes if any and exam. This year my assignments were handed in way too early. I hate having still to do summaries while I need to study. Unfortunately I cannot follow someone else' notes as I don't know how that person's mind works. And what I would consider important someone else might leave out.

One thing's for sure whether you study full time or part time, you have to make notes or summaries. The guides and text books if any are a lot of work to study, but if you can reduce it by summarising it in your own words, so much the better.

If you can handle 4 per semester then thats great. As my daughter is now in Grade 1 and getting so much homework for which she needs my help 5 modules is about the most I can handle, but 4 would have been better as the work is a lot and I have to put in more time and effort than I needed to do last year when I started.

Good luck with the exams and do what suits you the best. If you can do mindmapping it will help a lot as it reduces the amount of effort you have to put in when you study. But then again, it depends on you and what works the best for you. (There is a thread on study methods somewhere in the library as well.)

All the best.

Henrietta
Atteirneh
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hi Steve-O!

My name is Marcelle and I'm 24 years old. I work from 8am to 6pm - 7days a week. I also study Management 4th year at Nelson Mandela University. I guess I understand how you feel, just keep up the hard work - don't back down. I've had some hardships myself (been in and out of hospital with swine flu a few years ago) and thus still have to cover some of my 4th year subjects eventho' this is my 6th year of studying LLB.

Goodluck bro. You can do it!
*Marcelle*
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph
"The great thing to remember is that though our feelings come and go - God's love for us does not." - C.S. Lewis

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 104
Awesome to see the passion and ambition amongst the students, especially you Henrietta you make me smile

Heads up to everyone, life is a journey and you all seem to have your path planned out and you soldier on through the struggle and I know as you know as we all know it will be worth it at the end.

Now back to what i was doing, uh what was i doing again
Shazie
graphgraph
graphgraph
Its mind over matter
So if i dont mind
You wont matter.

I'm in my final year - started in 2008. I took 11 subjects in my first year so I only have 9 this year.

I work at a law firm, flexi hours, 'cause I have kids to taxi around in the afternoon. In all I work 7.5hours (but 60min of that may be in the car on the laptop or at home). I don't get to the books before 8 at night, but I try for at least 3hrs before bedtime, and I wake up at 5 for 60min studying before the day starts. I've got a good average.
Secrets: (1) I study over weekends (at least 7hrs per day); (2) I start the next semester subjects immediately after the exams are over; (3) I take my books on holidiay, so instead of reading a novell I'll read a handbook. 4) most important - I have a STUDY BUDDY. She's very commited, and diligent. We don't have all the same subjects this year, but still study together. She wakes me with an sms in the morning.

Studying is not a passtime - you have to be committed. I did BAcc at Maties many years ago. This is different. It's not abouting passing, it's about getting the kniowledge so that you can work in the profession. And that's why a good mark is important.
ArleneSmit
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Thanks for everybody's stories, they really touched my heart, I have been a struggling part time student for the past 4 years now and aim to finish end of next year. It so wonderfull to know I am not alone. And I am impressed over a lot of your study schedules, I am a social butterfly and entrepreneur at heart, so always seem to be doing something except studying. I also prefer studying at night when all the chores have been done.

Good luck for the upcoming exams to Everybody!!!

RGS

G
GayleneC
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Hey Steve,

I know how you feel - but yes - you are definately very lucky to be young without too many added responsibilities.
I am 32 years old - I work full time, 5 days a week, I have two little ones' (ages 3yrs & 18 months) and have been doing my BCom accounting for about 2 years now. It's been going slow so far, I'm only finishing my last 1years modules next semester.
I am hoping and praying to be able to up my game next year and do more subjects per semester.
I get home, then sort out the kids (supper, bath, play etc.) once they go to bed - which is normally around 19h30 - 20h00, only then can I start studying - BUT, I am determined to do this and will not give it up!

Do it now - while it might be hectic - it won't get easier with time, it will get harder once you gain more responsibilities.

So DO count yourself lucky!

Enjoy it and just keep your eye on the benefits after graduation!!!

Best of luck to you all for the exams coming up... keep us posted!

Jen
jennys7806
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 28
Wow what a great response! Thanks for sharing your experiences people.
I'm feeling a bit more optimistic seeing that other students are going through the same as me, if not more difficult than me it seems in most cases.

You guys have inspired me to study in the mornings. Been thinking about doing it for a while now, really looks the way to go in terms of freshness for studying.

Thank you once more and good luck with your guys exams!

Steve-o
Steve-o
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 52
Hi!

Hi I'm 21 (almost 22) and working full time 7am to 5pm 5days a week at Architects as a Personal Assistant for the Principle Architect and am studying my second degree. (I graduated this year for Bsc Construction Management at another University) and am a 1st Year Bcom Fin Management student at Unisa.

Studying and working is a challenge but at the end we all get rewarded. (Can't wait for my rewards )

Thanks for all the inspirational stories! Good luck to you all!

Charmaine
Charmaine W
Master's Candidate Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
stop trying to fit in, if you were born to stand out

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
Working and studying, as everyone says, are not the easiest activity in life.
I am working 6 days a week and I am involved in numerous different things. I work in a church and also participle with ministries affiliated to our church - things that directly and indirectly involved justice as we have NGO involvement.
My employers are really great and they let me go home to study every day at 3pm. So my working hours are from 8:30 - 3pm. Then the rest of the things. such volunteering, church activities and etc taking place....So I have adjusted my study program around all these things. Wake up at, the latest, 5am. Study before work for 2 and a half hours, work, then the etc above and then studying. So I try to get from 5 - 6 study hours a day. It is not easy but dedication and discipline are two things that I am holding myself to .
It is my second degree(LLB) and now I really appreciate what my parents did for me in my first degree( European Studies) so I didn't have to work during studying.
I am a foreigner, so studying in English is , different but with God's grace everything is possible.
kristiyan
Honours Student Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
Hey everyone! This thread has been so inspirational. It always helps to feel you are not alone...
I'm 29 and work 7:30 - 4pm. Try and study during my lunch breaks every week day and then do what I can in the evenings and also catch up on weekends.
I agree with the comment above about summary notes - they must make sense to you and be simple and easy to follow - i also found sms type writring in my summaries save time + space.
This is my 4th year for LLB. only did one module last year - was hospitalised for burn out so steve-0 - i know how you feel!
Most NB for me of all things - find an exercise / hobby that you can use as an outlet for stress. i know it robs study time, but it helps to keep you sane + is good for your brain + memory. diet is equally NB for concentration. I also have a mentour (an ex-boss) who I lean on when times get rough and she encourages me big time
MOST NB - it is something you are doing for YOU and not for anyone else. make sure it's on your own terms and set yourself mini and long term goals and tick them off when you've achieved them.
Good luck everyone + thanks for sharing
x
nix1234
First Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:Anybody else working and studying? 3 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Hi Everyone!

Truly working and studying is difficult. My first two years of LLB I went to Varsity College, and did 10 modules a year. It was fine, but I got so bored with Varsity College, and well the lecturers sometimes didn't know what was going on. So I thought I would come to America for two years and continue my studies. I thought it would work out fine - but after my first semester here I had to drop down my modules to 4 per semester.

I work 45 hours a week, but I'm an au pair so I work 6am - 10am and then 3pm - 8pm. Monday - Friday. My learning had to get creative. Usually I just study for the hours I'm off during the day and then go to gym or something at night (it really helps!) but a month and a half before exams I stop doing everything, no socialising, no gym, things like that and study every moment I can. During the day and at night after work, until I fall asleep. On the weekends throughout the year I always do a little work, but the month and a half before exams I work on the weekends from the moment I wake to when I sleep. Also, since I have children to look after, and sometimes it's about 40 - 50 minutes in the car, I read myself my summaries onto my iPhone and when I'm driving I connect my iPhone to the radio and listen to my notes! It really helps since that is usually wasted time. I also write notes on HUGE sheets of paper and hang them up all over my bedroom so I am CONSTANTLY surrounded by notes and diagrams - it helps with remembering. I use markers so it's really bright and stands out!

I really think that we will all be MUCH better lawyers when we do qualify. Apart from having a law degree we will all also be able to perform under pressure. We have mastered the ability of self-discipline and hard work, and we will always have that!

Goodluck to everyone!!!!
blair.tasker
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: dirkd, Amanda1, Shazie, alsoran, ostachio

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?